Cherry Tomato, Provolone and Fontina Cheese Sandwich
Paired with Vieni's Classic Brut Sparkling
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon shredded thyme leaves
- 2 white French Sticks - ends discarded
- 1 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 pound Fontina cheese, coarsely shredded (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Prehead the over to 350°.
On a baking sheet, toss the halved tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Bake the tomatoes for 30 minutes.
Increase the oven temperature to 375°. Cut the French sticks in half and then in 4inch pieces, to make a sandwich. Brush the one side of the bread with olive oil and arrange the slices oiled side down on a large rimmed baking sheet.
Top with the provolone, fontina and cherry tomatoes. Place other half of bread on top (to make a sandwich), drizzle the remaining oil, and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
Bake for 10 minutes, then broil for 1 minute.